Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Body Image in Korea (Part 2)

I returned to my school today for the first time since December 22, my last day of classes for the fall semester. I still don't start teaching for another week, but it was nice to see all of the teachers again. Most of them greeted me with a "nice to see you" or a "long time no see." One of the female teachers, though, was kind enough to go a step further and tell me that I was looking "more beautiful" than before.

I suppose I can take that as a compliment on my favorite sweater, which I was wearing, or my new-ish haircut, which is basically just longer with some shorter bang-like sections in the front. However, I also was not wearing any make-up and had gained just a little weight from overindulging on Korean food upon my return from Cambodia.

...so damn, if I'm looking more beautiful now, than what the heck did I look like in December? Sometimes I think certain aspects of Korean culture have been developed specifically to mess with foreigners' minds.

No comments: